Discord is an application that allows your PC or mobile to focus most of its resources towards the actual game. This app has more than 250 million registered users according to the record of July 2019, the app is only a few years old, and it seems to show no sign of slowing with such a huge crowd. One of the best qualities of Discord is that it lets you freely hop around and be a part of different multiple servers communities for an assortment of varying purposes.
In Discord, there may come a time when you feel like changing your nickname. Maybe you just want to add something different to it for any special occasion. Discord does allow you to change your nickname to any name you want if the proper permissions have been granted by the server’s owner.
So in this discussion, we are going to discuss how you can change the nickname in Discord.
There are a few ways from which you can edit your current Discord nickname. When you change your nickname, then it will be seen by everyone else in the user list of the server for each server in which you are in as a member. Keep in mind that changing your nickname won’t change your account username. So people will be able to locate you using your account name if they choose to.
Long Method to change the name
You need to launch the discord app and, and enter in it using your email and password. If you don’t have the Discord app on your computer, then you can use the Discord’s web app from your internet browser. You can connect to www.discordapp.com and log in from there. After login, you need to proceed with the following steps:
- First of all, click on the white cogwheel icon located near your username at the left of the screen. This is the User Settings icon that will open up the User Settings page.
- Then click on the Edit button from the User Settings, located under the My ACCOUNT heading. From here, you can edit the information on your accounts, such as your username, email, and password.
- Then your current username is displayed below the username
- You need to delete your old username and type the new one instead.
- Once you are done finished with the changes to make in your account, you will have to confirm your identity. It will ask you to enter your password before you can save your newly edited information.
The Short Method
It is a quicker and short way to change your username, proceed with the following steps:
- Click on the server settings menu bar from the top portion of the Discord window.
- It will have the server name in the list and a down arrowhead to the right of it.
- Click the arrow, and from the drop menu, click on the Change Nickname option.
- Then you can enter your new nickname into that field given. Once you have typed your new nickname, click the blue Save button.
If you want to change the nickname through the shortest way, then you can use of slash commands, and all the clicking and scrolling can help you, by typing ‘/nick‘ into the command input area and then you can enter your new nickname to change it. It is a quicker solution than those mentioned above. You can do this for all the servers that you have access to or member of, so long if at your current role, the server group allows you to change it.
If you are owner of a server, then you have the choice to change and manage the nicknames of anyone who joins, including you. There are two permissions that are dedicated to the nickname usage:
There is an option in the setting “Change Nickname,” enabling it will permit the users to change their nickname on your server. This is the same case if you are on a server owned by someone else. By enabling the “Manage Nicknames” option on your server, permission is given to the users to access the “Members” server settings only. This will allow anyone to change the nicknames of other members’ within that server as long as they are members at that server.
Changing other members’ nicknames is very simple:
- You just have to access the Members tab in the Server Settings.
- In the Server Members area, move to the member whose username you want to change. Click the dots on the left to open up more options and choose the Change Nickname.
- Then you have to fill the member’s new nickname in the given box and then click on the Save option when you are finished.
- Everyone who is in the server will be able to see the newly updated nicknames to the right side of the Member Section.
If in case the server owner denies giving you a role with “Change Nickname” permissions, then you won’t be able to access neither your nickname change nor any nickname changes for members.
In this discussion, we discussed how you could change your nickname in Discord through different ways on the servers. The process is simple and easy. We hope this info was helpful for you if you have any questions or any problem you can mail us at our given email.
- [Quick] Leave a Voice Channel in Discord?
- [Quick] Manage, Delete And Add a Server in Discord
- Discord tts [On/Off, Funny, Troll, BeatBox]
- Discord Deleted User [How to Know]?
1. Can you also change the Discord tag?
Yes, you can. To change your Discord Tag, you have to navigate to your User Settings and then click on the Edit button. From there, you will see that your Discord Tag is editable! Click on Change Discord Tag to change your Tag
2. Can these people see my email on Discord?
No, they cannot see your email. Only you can see your email address. Even if the other users have permissions on the server, they still cannot see it.